You may know that modern-day gin is derived from Dutch 'genever,' so it's no surprise that the cruise line that celebrates Dutch marine traditions and culture has developed its own gin for its historic anniversary.
The new, exclusive label has been named De Lijn in a nod to Holland America Line's roots - that have included gin for the cruise line's entire century-and-a-half history.
The label continues its nod to Dutch culture, boasting the name in Dutch orange, (the Dutch royal family is, in fact, the House of Orange), and is also accented with line drawings of blue juniper berries in a style the cruise line is calling 'Modern Delft,' an homage to iconic blue and white of Dutch Delftware.
De Lijn Gin is made with a blend of Dutch inspired botanicals, including orange and rose, along with elderberry, lemon verbena, lemon, raspberry and juniper. Holland America Line says that each botanical is cold distilled separately for distinct and consistent flavors. The result is a premium gin, made in America, inspired by the Netherlands, and specially crafted for Holland America Line.
'Gin often carries characteristics of its geography, and we wanted to produce a blend that not only captured our Dutch heritage, but also used botanicals in a modern way to make it unique to our brand,' said Anthony Stice, vice president of dining and beverage operations for Holland America Line.
'We call it a 'Nieuw' Western Gin, our take on the fast-growing New Western Dry Gin category; we selected a bright and floral profile, finishing it slightly over-proofed, making it ideal for mixing cocktails. This is Holland America Line's first produced spirit, and we're excited to see our guests' reaction.'
De Lijn Gin in 3 New, 150th Anniversary Cocktails:
De Lijn will be available in all bars and lounges fleetwide as a gin of choice beginning in November, 2022. In addition, guests traveling on Holland America Line will be able to taste the new gin in three new signature 150th Anniversary cocktails (pictured, top):
- 'Dutch 150' A twist on a French 75 with De Lijn Gin, lemon juice and sparkling wine;
- '150th Martini' Classic Martini with De Lijn Gin and Noilly Pratt Dry Vermouth; and
- 'De Lijn Gin and Tonic' is an exclusive drink prepared tableside in the Pinnacle Grill specialty restaurant. In addition to De Lijn Gin and Fever Tree Premium Indian Tonic, the cocktail blends an assortment of seasonal botanicals such as juniper berries, peppercorns, verbena, star anise, mint and expressed citrus.
A 'Spirited' Souvenir of Your Voyage
Bottles also will be available for purchase in the shipboard shops, allowing guests to take home a taste of Dutch tradition, Holland America Line-style.
By: Lynn Elmhirst Producer and Host, World's Greatest Cruises
Images courtesy of Holland America Line
All rights reserved. You are welcome to share this material from this page, but it may not be copied, re-published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Sign Up. Don't miss the latest in cruise travel.
Subscribe now for inspiration, news and expert tips, straight to your inbox.
Most Popular Episodes
- First Cruise Line to Sail Year Round on the St. Lawrence to Capture Magic of Canadian Maritime Winter
- You Can Now Take a Cruise on a New American River
- The New Hotels You'll Want to Try on your Next Cruise to Hong Kong
- Breaking News: Amsterdam Isn't Banning Cruise Ships After All
- Are Cruise Ship Subs Safe? I Just Got Back From Filming on One, and This is What I Know