Cruising to Canada is about to get a lot easier: No more vaccinations, testing, or making declarations on the ArriveCAN app. Effective October 1st, 2022, the government of Canada is eliminating ALL travel restrictions - including for cruise travel!
That's great news for everyone with a cruise booked in the few weeks remaining in the 2022 cruise season - or thinking of booking a cruise in 2023 to Canada's West Coast en route to Alaska, the St. Lawrence, East Coast or Great Lakes.
Here's what you need to know:
As of October 1, 2022, travelers arriving in Canada from any country by any means of transportation will no longer have to be:
- vaccinated against COVID-19 to enter Canada or
- meet COVID-19 testing, quarantine or isolation requirements.
Travelers will also no longer have to submit their COVID health information through the ArriveCAN app.
Cruise travellers will also no longer be required to have pre-board tests.
A set of guidelines will remain to protect cruise passengers and crew, which the government of Canada says will align with the approach used in the United States, so for most cruise travelers, the experience should be smooth and seamless.
If you are flying into or out of a Canadian port of embarkation or debarkation, or have a pre- or post-cruise trip planned by train, Canada is also removing existing travel requirements for air and train travel. As of October 1, 2022, travelers will no longer be required to:
- Undergo health checks for travel on air and rail; or
- Wear masks on planes and trains.
The Canadian government is still strongly recommending that travelers wear masks especially indoors or in more crowded places when they travel.
By: Lynn Elmhirst Producer and Host, World's Greatest Cruises
Image: Holland America Line in Quebec City, courtesy of Holland America Line.
All rights reserved. You are welcome to share this material from this page, but it may not be copied, re-published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Sign Up. Don't miss the latest in cruise travel.
Subscribe now for inspiration, news and expert tips, straight to your inbox.
Most Popular Episodes
- First Cruise Line to Sail Year Round on the St. Lawrence to Capture Magic of Canadian Maritime Winter
- You Can Now Take a Cruise on a New American River
- The New Hotels You'll Want to Try on your Next Cruise to Hong Kong
- Breaking News: Amsterdam Isn't Banning Cruise Ships After All
- Are Cruise Ship Subs Safe? I Just Got Back From Filming on One, and This is What I Know